Heading North

Some of the art work around town

 Sanford, Florida back to Silver Glen Springs

March 23- 27



Our final night in Sanford was a lot of fun. At the German Restaurant they were having a Bingo that night. They called it Meat Bingo. I called it Wurst Bingo. I hope I didn't offend anyone thinking I said worst bingo. It was for charity,  special needs kids and I was drinking German Beer. What could be better,  Nancy enjoying Bingo and me enjoying a cold one (or two or three). While in Sanford, I did some maintenance. Oil and filters were changed. I got a ride from one of the slip holders to the auto store to drop off the three gallons of used oil. The marina took the used filters but wanted $2.75 a gallon for used oil.  We did a free pumpout. Departing was stress free. We stopped at the city free dock and went for breakfast. The lake was choppy until we were back in the river.  Along the way we met up with the BARBARA-LEE. This time the captain stopped and let us pass before he did his turn-around. Our destination was Hontoon State Park Marna. This is an island where you arrive by boat, yours or the parks. They have campsites and cabins and docks although BAR-B-Q barely fit.

Half on half off

The good spots can be reserved. Who knew. That take planning which translates to work. And it was a weekend. They had hiking trails through the swamps. With the right shoes, the walk was enjoyable. Most people turned back but I wouldn't give up. Unlike the Poconos, my feet did sink in the muck. Hontoon was where the gator caught the vulture. Also the Sand Cranes were walking around joined by some turkeys. It was a nice stop. We stayed two nights.

Sunday we headed back to Silver Glen Springs. Lake George was choppy and we were churning mud plowing into the channel. Then a bump. We didn't ground but we struck something. The wind was strong and while resetting the anchor, we caught our stern anchor. Our second mishap. The line cutter attached to prop shaft was useless although it survived our previous shaft breakage. The water here is crystal clear, 72degrees all year so it was an easy dive to see the damage. And only 5ft where we were anchored. I cut what I could and tried to remove the line cutter. It wouldn't budge. Some line got between the cutter and the shaft end. The prop had a slight bend at the end of the four fins. Hope there is not much vibration. The sonar gets confused sometimes and just flashes the last depth. When this happens, you are driving blind, not knowing what the actual depth is. I am a certified member of the "Bent Prop Society". It was all worth the trouble. Momma gator and young were photographed, Manatee in clear water posed, and I went snorkeling in the spring and went


                           "swimming with the fishes"( about 200 mullet). Thanks GO Pro


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOLD

On My Way Again

Always Changes