More Towns or Villiages




I forgot to mention lunch in Lyons. After some bargain  shopping,  we stopped at William Street Tavern for a great lunch and a beer or two. They were passing out samples; smoked steak sandwiches.  WOW.


Newark, NY was the  next  village to welcome us. They have a free clock museum at their library.  Later that day and across the street, the village had a benefit social. Strawberry short cake with ice cream. Very good. The town had a free concert on the waterway.  I launched the dingy to do some fishing. My usual luck, nothing although I had a good time netting garbage that was floating in the canal. Free docks--the least I could do and was thanked by several local people from the concert. The picture showing  Nancy pulling a wagon  is a slight representation  of reality. We must walk to resupply everywhere  we go. The 225lb rated all-terrian wagon is very usefull but we get the usual stares "where's your car". Little do they know. And yes, I'm the mule to pull the loaded wagon. I need the exercise. 


Fairport,, NY 
Another great stop. I found a shoemaker to fix my boat shoes, an upholstery shop that fixed the cover that protects  the controlls when not using the flybridge,  15 dollars each, and Tony, the local pizza joint co-owner. He was looking at the tug and Pittston rang a bell. His early years was spent in Hudson. For non NEPA people, Hudson is  just north Of Wilkes-Barre, not far from Pittston. We had a great conversation  about our trip and how he ended up go in Newark. He gave me $20 to buy a pizza.  I saw him again when I walked for the pizza. He was waiting for his daughter to pick him up. His grand daughter  was playing softball. I paid for the pizza and left the 20 with his partner, his brother  Mike. I saw him again later that night. Seems the power on the pedestals  along the canal stopped working.  No AC !!! Tony said the power company were working  on it and soon there was power. What a nice connection with the locals. The bridge's ribbon cutting  ceremony is this Friday. Famous  Bridge noted for no 2 angles are the same and a lift bridge which crosses the canal at a 32-degree angle.  Some hardhats worked past midnight. I was hop'ing  to see a test run. Never happened. A great visit, 'never the less'.



 




Comments

  1. Rocking it Johnny and Nancy.! Love your updates. We celebrated the fourth on the River thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Lake Erie, Erie PA. The blog is work but I try. The River celebrated this year, yes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GOLD

On My Way Again

Always Changes